Kiti is a village located in the district of Larnaca, about 11 kilometers southwest of the city. The village is built on the coastal plain of Larnaca, at an average altitude of 20 meters. The hilly relief of the village is dissected by the river Tremithos which flows to its west. The road connection of Kiti is very good. In the northeast it is connected to Dromolaxia, as well as to the village of Meneu and through it to the city of Larnaca. It is also connected to the north-west with the village of Tersefanou, to the south-east with the village of Pervolia and to the south-west with the village of Softades. There are currently 3,278 residents (World Population Review). Kiti's rapid population expansion over the years was facilitated by its close proximity to Larnaca and adequate transportation connections.
The settlement preserves the name of the ancient Cypriot city of Kitio, which was situated a bit further north on the site of Larnaca city. In medieval times, the village was known as Kitin. A reference by Leontios Macheras, about the landing of the king of Cyprus in Kiti upon his return to the island from Asia Minor, indicates that there was an anchorage in the coastal area of the village during the Middle Ages. But the reason why King Peter had landed in Kiti was because he had a palace there, which he had built around 1367. Kiti, also known as “Le Quid”, was a fief that belonged to the Cypriot royal family during the Frankish era. The tower of Kiti, one of the few remaining remnants from the time of the Venetian occupation of the island, is another monument in the village's administrative territory. The tower is still standing today and looks out over the sea from a hill. A part of a medieval bridge, possibly dating from the 15th century, bearing Lusignan coats of arms is still standing close to the village on the west side of the river Tremithos. It appears that Kiti's royal palace was guarded by walls during the Middle Ages. There are additional Neolithic-era archaeological relics in the village's administrative territory. It is believed that people from ancient Kitio who relocated further south constructed Kiti for the first time in the third or fourth century AD. For 1500 years, Panagia tis Aggeloktistis, a famous 11th-century structure, serves as Kiti's primary church.
Kiti truly has nothing less than a big city! There are plenty of restaurants, taverns, coffee shops, bars, grocery stores and beautiful beaches in the village. The sea is a few kilometers away making Kiti’s location fantastic with magical view to the sea. In the area you can find new-built houses, luxury villas, as well as modern apartments.
Discover your dream home in gorgeous Kiti, on our listing with 3 houses to rent.